LIFE LESSON FOR TODAY, 1/15/14



JAMES 3:5, 8-9


Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things.

But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly 
evil, full of deadly poison.

With it we bless our God and Father, and with it 
we curse men, who have been made in the 
similitude of God.

PROVERBS 18:21


21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue,
And those who love it will eat its fruit.

 

HISTORICAL  CONTEXT


 


In Bible book of Genesis the serpent (satan) 
uses his tongue to deceive and manipulate
Eve. In the book Matthew 26 we learn that 
two of Jesus’ disciples use their tongue to
deny and betray him. Judas goes to the 
priest  and asks to be paid because he 
plans to betray Jesus.  Peter tells Jesus that 
he will never betray Him. Peter was in the
courtyard and he was asked if he knew Jesus. 
He replied, ” I do not know the man". Peter 
hears a rooster crow and realizes that he has
denied Jesus three times. He begins to weep. 
In Matthew 27 Judas realized that he had been condemned. He tries to return the pieces of silver 
he was paid. He said, "I have sinned by betraying

innocent blood". He leaves the temple and goes out and hangs himself.


PAINTING OF THE JUDAS KISS 
BY UGOLINO di NERIO, 1325-1330




PAINTING OF PETER AND ROOSTER





LIFE LESSON FOR TODAY



I never thought of my tongue as a contributor to sin until I read these scriptures.  Our tongue helps us speak and the words we say to people can help or harm them.  I have had to practice counting silently

when I am angry.  This makes me think before I speak. I can get myself into a lot of trouble by responding impulsively without regard to the consequences of my actions. I had to learn to
let Jesus take care of people who have mistreated me.  I have to forgive them and let go of my anger. 
I can develop health and emotional problems when
I do not forgive and try to get revenge. Jesus doesn’t like evil doers and He is supposed to do the judging, not me!

  

 

 


 


 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CALLED BY THE LORD, PART 6

CALLED BY THE LORD, PART 5

ADAM & EVE'S FAMILY TREE