DO YOU NEED TO FORGIVE SOMEONE? PART 2




PAINTING: ESAU SELLING BIRTHRIGHT

BY HENDRICK TER BRUGGHEN, C. 1627






As an adult I was plagued by memories of people  who  I felt mistreated me. The term mistreatment means different things to different people.Some of behaviors that I call mistreatment may even seem trivial to some people.Mistreatment can range from the lies told about you to others to physical abuse
by someone.

The point of this conversation is, that the Lord requires us to forgive people who mistreat us.
It is not easy and He'll help us erase hatred for
these people. He'll soften our hearts if we seek
His help.This is not something that the average person can not do alone.  Remember that we
have Adam's sinful nature. I pray this week's 
study encourages people to forgive the friends
and family that mistreated them in the past.


Today, I'll talk about twins named Jacob and Esau. The story of betrayal by Jacob to his brother,Esau. Does Esau forgive his Jacob? LET'S SEE!


LIFE LESSON:

TWINS BORN:  ESAU BORN FIRST THEN JACOB.  ESAU IS A MAN OF THE FIELD & JACOB IS A MILD MAN.



GENESIS 25: 24-28



24 So when her days were fulfilled for her to give

birth, indeed there were twins in her womb.  
25 And the first came out red. He was like a hairy garment all over; so they called his name Esau. 26 Afterward his brother came out, and his hand 
took hold of Esau’s heel; so his name was called Jacob. Isaac was sixty years old when she bore 
them


27 So the boys grew.  And  Esau was a skillful hunter,
a man of the field;but Jacob was a mild man, dwelling in tents. 
28 And Isaac loved Esau because he ate of his game, but Rebekah loved Jacob.

  





PAINTING:  (ESAU & JACOB) THE LENTIL STEW BY:  MATTHIAS STOM, 17TH CENTURY





LIFE LESSON:

JACOB WILL ONLY GIVE ESAU STEW UNLESS HE SELLS HIS BIRTHRIGHT(INHERITANCE).

GENESIS 25: 31-34


31 But Jacob said, “Sell me your birthright as of this day.”
32 And Esau said, “Look, I am about to die; so what 
is this birthright to me?”
33 Then Jacob said, “Swear to me as of this day.”
So he swore to him, and sold his birthright to Jacob.
34 And Jacob gave Esau bread and stew of lentils; then he ate and drank, arose, and went his way.Thus Esau despised his birthright.





ART PROJECT:

ISAAC BLESSING JACOB BY:

GERRIT WILLEMSZ HORST, C. 1637



LIFE LESSON:

TRADITIONS IS THAT OLDEST SON  RECEIVES BIRTHRIGHT.  JACOB'S MOTHER HELPS
HIM  TRICK HIS DAD INTO BELIEVING THAT HE IS ESAU.  HE GETS  ESAU'S  BIRTHRIGHT. 

GENESIS 27: 1-4,  8-17


1 Now it came to pass, when Isaac was old and his eyes were so dim that he could not see, that he called Esau his older son and said to him, “My son.”And he answered him, “Here I am.”
Then he said, “Behold now, I am old. I do not know the day of my death.  
Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
And make me savory food, such as I love, and bring it to me that I may eat, that my soul may bless you before I die.”

Now therefore, my son, obey my voice according to what I command you.  
Go now to the flock and bring me from there two choice kids of the goats, and I will make savory food from them for your father, such as he loves. 
10 Then you shall take it to your father, that he may eat it, and that he may bless you before his death.”
11 And Jacob said to Rebekah his mother, “Look, Esau my brother is a hairy man, and I am a smooth-skinned man.  
12 Perhaps my father will feel me, and I shall seem to be a deceiver to him; and I shall bring a curse on myself and not a blessing.”
13 But his mother said to him, “Let your curse be on me, my son; only obey my voice, and go, get them for me.”
14 And he went and got them and brought them to his mother, and his mother made savory food, such as his father loved.  
15 Then Rebekah took the choice clothes of her elder son Esau, which were with her in the house, and put them on Jacob her younger son.
16 And she put the skins of the kids of the goats on his hands and on the smooth part of his neck. 
17 Then she gave the savory food and the bread, which she had prepared, into the hand of her son Jacob.



   
LIFE LESSON:

JACOB LIVES IN FEAR.  THINKS  THAT ESAU WILL ATTACK HIM BECAUSE OF HIS BIRTHRIGHT SCHEME.


GENESIS 32: 9-11

 Then Jacob said, “O God of my father Abraham and God of my father Isaac, the Lord who said to me, ‘Return to your country and to your family, and I will deal well with you’:  
10 I am not worthy of the least of all the mercies and of all the truth which You have shown Your servant; for I crossed over this Jordan with my staff, and now I have become two companies.  
11 Deliver me, I pray, from the hand of my brother, from the hand of Esau; for I fear him, lest he come and attack me and the mother with the children.






PAINTING: 

THE RECONCILITATION OF JACOB & ESAU

PETER PAUL RUBENS, 1624
 


LIFE LESSON:

ESAU AND JACOB MEET.  JACOB REALIZED THAT ESAU HAD FORGIVEN HIM. 

GENESIS 33:1-7



1 Now Jacob lifted his eyes and looked, and there, Esau was coming, and with him were four hundred men. So he divided the children among Leah, Rachel, and the two maidservants.
And he put the maidservants and their children in front, Leah and her children behind, and Rachel and Joseph last.  
Then he crossed over before them and bowed himself to the ground seven times, until he came near to his brother.
But Esau ran to meet him, and embraced him, and fell on his neck and kissed him, and they wept.  
And he lifted his eyes and saw the women and children, and said, “Who are these with you?”

So he said, “The children whom God has graciously given your servant.”  
Then the maidservants came near, they and their children, and bowed down.  
And Leah also came near with her children, and they bowed down. Afterward Joseph and Rachel came near, and they bowed down.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CALLED BY THE LORD, PART 6

CALLED BY THE LORD, PART 5

ADAM & EVE'S FAMILY TREE