LIFE LESSON FOR TODAY, 2/7/14

ACTS 8:26-27, 30 -31, 36-37, 39 


26 Now an angel of the Lord spoke to Philip, saying, “Arise and go toward the south along the road which goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.” This is desert. 
27 So he arose and went. And behold, a man of Ethiopia, a eunuch of great authority under Candace the queen of the Ethiopians, who had charge of all her treasury, and had come to Jerusalem to worship

30 So Philip ran to him, and heard him reading the prophet Isaiah, and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?”
31 And he said, “How can I, unless someone guides me?” And he asked Philip to come up and sit with him.  

36 Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, “See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?”
37 Then Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.”
And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”

39 Now when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the  Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more; and he went on his way rejoicing. 



PAINTING, PHILLIP & ETHIOPIAN



 


 HISTORICAL  CONTEXT 

Phillip is an evangelist. An angel told him to travel from Jerusalem to Gaza. He met an Ethiopian in a chariot.  He was puzzled when he saw him reading  Bible book of Isaiah.  He asks Phillip to help him understand what the scriptures mean. Phillip is able  to convert the Ethiopian  and baptizes him. 


LIFE LESSON FOR TODAY

I was impressed when I read about the
Ethiopian reading scriptures in the Bible.  
He was trying to read the Bible even when
he didn't understand what he was reading.
He wasn't too proud to admit that he did 
not understand the scriptures.

The Bible Book of 2 Timothy 2 tells us that
we should study to show ourselves approved
unto God.  I used to get frustrated when I did
my Bible Study. I knew that there had to be a
better way to study. I discovered that I needed 
to invest in a good Bible dictionary and switch 
to an easier Bible translation. I enjoyed my Bible
study when I sat aside a specific time to do it.My studying was done after 9 pm when my family
members had gone to bed or were busy doing 
their own "thing". I didn't rush and took time to 
look up Bible words that I wasn't familiar with. 
I discovered that I could find nice leather bound 
Bible dictionaries and Concordances at our annual Friends of the Library Book Sale.  All of this Bible study help me better comprehend the sermon's I
was hearing on Sunday. A lot of the pastors today
go beyond the familiar Jonah and the whale, Daniel 
in the Lion's den,and Noah and the Flood.  I began
to take notes in church and research these notes when I did my Bible Study.  I am proud to say I can answer some of the Jeopardy Game Show questions about the Bible now. I have started doing all of my Bible studying online.  There is a lot more research material available on the computer.














 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CALLED BY THE LORD, PART 6

CALLED BY THE LORD, PART 5

ADAM & EVE'S FAMILY TREE