LIFE LESSON FOR TODAY, 2/5/14

NUMBERS  12:1-2, 4-5, 8-10



1 Then Miriam and Aaron spoke against Moses because of the Ethiopian woman whom he had married; for he had married an Ethiopian woman.
So they said, “Has the Lord indeed spoken only through Moses? Has He not spoken through us also?” And the Lord heard it. 

4 Suddenly the Lord said to Moses, Aaron, and Miriam, “Come out, you three, to the tabernacle of meeting!” So the three came out.
 5 Then the Lord came down in the pillar of cloud and stood in the door of the tabernacle, and called Aaron and Miriam. And they both went forward. 

 I speak with him face to face, Even plainly, and not in dark sayings; And he sees the form of the Lord.
Why then were you not afraid To speak against My servant Moses?”

So the anger of the Lord was aroused against them, and He departed.   
10 And when the cloud departed from above the tabernacle, suddenly Miriam became leprous, as white as snow. Then Aaron turned toward Miriam, and there she was, a leper. 

Acts 10:33-35

34 Then Peter opened his mouth and said: “In truth 
I perceive that God shows no partiality.  
35 But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him.

 

HISTORICAL CONTEXT


The Bible book of Exodus 4 shows  us that

Moses' Ethiopian wife was named Zipporah. 
The scriptures show that Aaron and Miriam 
did not approve of his marriage. The Lord 
had no problem with it. Her punished Miriam
by giving her s disease called leprosy.

LIFE LESSON FOR TODAY

My Sunday school teachers always talked

about Moses and the Ten Commandments. 
Most of my Bible Study groups discussed
the Moses, the Ten Commandments, and
the Promised Land. 

A few years ago I was reading a Reader's 
Digest magazine.  I came across an article
about Moses and his Ethiopian wife Zipporah. 
I was shocked and ran to my Bible to see if
this story was a hoax. I looked up the Bible 
verse the writer gave in his article. Well, it
was true. I went to college and church with
people from Ethiopia. 

I felt ignorant because I had missed this part
of Moses' history.  I learned a valuable lesson. 
Do your own precept upon precept Bible study
at home. 

Moses is still one of my favorite persons from
the Bible.  Jesus loves all people and doesn't 
consider race when he gives blessings.

I have friends from different ethnic groups. 
My two sons do too. My friends joked that
I must be a member of the United Nations.


PICTURE OF AXUM

 

Axum is the site of Ethiopia’s most ancient city and is renowned for the Cathedral of St. Mary of Zion.

Some believe the original Ark of the Covenant is housed here.


 NORMAN ROCKWELL POSTER



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CALLED BY THE LORD, PART 6

CALLED BY THE LORD, PART 5

ADAM & EVE'S FAMILY TREE