LIFE LESSON FOR TODAY, 2/20/14

PHILIPPIANS 4:11-12

11 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I
have learned in whatever state I am, to be 
content: 
12 I know how to be abased, and I know how 
to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have
learned both to be full and to be hungry, both 
to abound and to suffer need.  

HISTORICAL CONTEXT

Paul was talking to the Philippians.
He was telling them that they should 
be content with what they have. Paul
was telling them this because he had  
experienced wealth and poverty. He 
knew that discontentment can lead
to sin. 

LIFE LESSON FOR TODAY:

"DON'T KEEP WHAT WITH THE JONES "!

I used to hear my parents say, "Our 
neighbors are trying to keep up with
the Jones". I had no idea what they 
were talking about. I could not ask 
for an explanation.  My parents told 
me and my siblings not to interrupt
when "grown folks were talking"! My 
eavesdropping would have gotten me 
into trouble anyway. I did find out later 
on what "keeping up with the Jones" 
meant from watching TV. The TV show
said it meant going into a lot of debt and
living above your income in order to appear
to have as much wealth as your neighbor. 
I don't hear people say this expression any 
more. I don't know what you call living above
your means these days. I do know that over
spending exist today.  I still hear about people 
who can't wait to save for what they want.They
will use a  credit card to buy it and wind up in astronomical credit card debt.   


I have learned a few things since I retired. In the beginning of my retirement, I was spending like a
rich lady.  I was able to afford with it when I lived
off me and my husband's pensions. We could save 
money and still buy things we wanted.  Well, that came to an end when he passed away. I felt like I 
was thumped on the head when I realized what I
had to live off now that I only had one income.  

I wasn't trying to "keep up with the Jones", but I 
was buying unnecessary things that I didn't need. 
I realized that I wasn't working anymore and did 
not need new clothes. I looked in my closet and 
found three dresses that were the same color and looked almost the same.  The buttons were the 
thing different on each dress. I had so many shoes 
that, I had them on shoe trees and in shoe boxes stacked about 4 feet high. I had two closets  full of clothes and my husband only had one. I felt very ashamed because I had been so wasteful.  

I took Paul's advice.  I have learned to be content
with what I have.  I don't dwell on wants anymore.  My priorities have changed and a lot of my WANTS  have turned into, DON"T NEED IT! I have learned 
to save money, budget money, and give money.
pray for my wants now. The things I want now are
not frivolous. My wants may appear to be needs to some people. The Bible book of Psalms 37:4 tell us 
that the " Lord will give us the desires of our heart". There is a condition that comes with this scripture, that I lot of people leave off.  It is, you must delight yourself in the Lord" and I do!!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CALLED BY THE LORD, PART 6

CALLED BY THE LORD, PART 5

ADAM & EVE'S FAMILY TREE