LIFE LESSON FOR TODAY, 3/5/14


JONAH IN THE WHALE

Detail of the Verduner altarpiece in Klosterneuburg, Austria 

by Nicholas of Verdun (1181)









JONAH 2: 1-2, 9-10

1 Then Jonah prayed to the Lord his God from the fish’s belly.
2 And he said: “I cried out to the Lord because of 

my affliction, And He answered me.


9 But I will sacrifice to You With the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay what I have vowed. 

Salvation is of the Lord.”

10 So the Lord spoke to the fish, and it vomited 

Jonah onto dry land.


HISTORICAL CONTEXT

The Lord has told Jonah to the city called Nineveh.  This city had a reputation for being very wicked, so  Jonah did not want to go there. He decided to flee to Tarshish. He got on a ship with some men that were sailing to Tarshish. Jonah confessed to them that he was fleeing from God.They threw him overboard. He was swallowed up by a great fish. Jonah said a prayer of thanksgiving to God.  He commands that the fish

release Jonah. The fish spits him out on dry land. 

 
LIFE LESSON FOR TODAY:
"GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE"


I get upset when I see people rescued from 

perilous situations. Few of these people give 
God credit for saving their lives.  They barely
say thank you to  the policeman, fireman, or
Good Samaritan who found them just in the 
nick of time. I see people stuck in cars in with
raging rivers.  Their car could go under at any moment. Extreme thrill seekers are pulled out 

of ravines after being lost for several days. A
woman did not bother to tell anyone where she
was going and took off hiking on a whim.  Her
cell phone did not work because there was no 
cell towers in the area or because of too many 
dead zones.  The reporter may state that it was
a miracle that they were found before severe
hypothermia or death occurred. The reporters

and onlookers even recognize a miracle when 
they see one.

I would thank God and the person He sent to
rescue me without hesitation. I would not want
to appear to be ungrateful.   












http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/be/a8/fe/bea8fe4647697db70bff7bb9f05e6764.jpg



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CALLED BY THE LORD, PART 6

CALLED BY THE LORD, PART 5

ADAM & EVE'S FAMILY TREE