LIFE LESSON FOR TODAY, 12/4/13



MATTHEW 2:11

 And when they had opened their treasures, they presented gifts to Him: gold, frankincense, and myrrh.

EXODUS 30:34-35


34- And the Lord said to Moses: Take
sweet spices, stacte and onycha and 
galbanum, and pure frankincense with 
these sweet spices; there shall be equal amounts of each. 35- You shall make of
these an incense, a compound according
to the art of the perfumer, salted, pure, 
and holy.

ESTHER 2:12

for thus were the days of their preparation apportioned: six months with oil of myrrh, and six months with perfumes and preparations for beautifying women.



HISTORICAL CONTEXT


Frankincense and myrrh are both aromatic
resin from trees. They harden after extraction. Both of these substances were valuable and expensive; therefore, the Magi gave them as  gifts for Jesus.  They were also mixed together and burned as incense by high priests for the altar.



Frankincense and myrrh are used worldwide today.  They have been used in incense, perfume, mouthwash, toothpaste, and healing salves and medicines. Frankincense has even been used in medical research.



LIFE LESSON FOR TODAY


I knew about frankincense and myrrh 
because of what I read in the Bible.

I went to a church yard sale and bought
a velvet pouch.  I only bought  this red        
pouch because it was pretty and the lady
sold it to me for a dollar. I opened the
pouch after I got home and discovered
that it held a kit with charcoal and
frankinense and myrrh nuggets. There 
was a card inside with instructions that
said burn these nuggets on Christmas 
Eve. I couldn’t believe my good fortune. 
The charcoal was wrapped in red foil and
the nuggets were in tiny clear cellophane 
envelopes. The charcoal had to be re 
wrapped securely because it wouldn’t 
burn if moisture got into it. The nuggets
were the size of tiny rocks and very potent. 
The fragrance from one little rock would fill
up the entire house. I treasured these items

and only burned them on Christmas Eve. 
I was able to find a health food store that 
carried the charcoal and nuggets. I found
out that the nuggets are called resin. I order frankincense and myrrh oils to give as gifts 
for Christmas.


FRANKINCENSE TREE







PURE GOLD, FRANKINCENSE AND MYRRH




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CALLED BY THE LORD, PART 6

CALLED BY THE LORD, PART 5

ADAM & EVE'S FAMILY TREE