LIFE LESSON FOR TODAY, 12/2/13






LUKE 2:15 


So it was, when the angels had gone away from them into heaven, that the shepherds said to one another, “Let us now go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has come to pass, which the Lord has made known to us.”







HISTORICAL CONTEXT

  
Research shows that in 1672 a German choirmaster had a local candy make 
these candy canes for the children in 
his church.  The tradition was that the 
candy would be red and white. The 
children were told about the shepherds 
visiting baby Jesus and the reason for 
the white stripe on the candy cane. 
The white represents the sinless life of
Jesus. The Bible book of 1 Samuel 17
tell us that David had a shepherd’s staff
in his hand before he went into
battle with.


LIFE LESSON FOR TODAY


Five years ago, I found out that the candy
canes had a special meaning. I had ordered some candy cane pencils and they had a little card tied on each of the pencils. I was thrilled that I had accidentally ordered the pencils

with the cards attached.  I was surprised
when I read the history of the candy cane
on the card.  I’m not sure why I didn’t hear about this story when I was a child.


Our family had a tradition of hanging candy canes on our Christmas tree.  This tradition
ended after my husband and I  discovered 
that our boys were eating the candy canes.
The entire back of our Christmas tree had 
empty candy cane wrappers hanging on it.  
The back of the tree was facing a wall and 
our boys  thought  that we wouldn't 
notice this until the tree was taken down!! 
This was just one of the many devious tricks
our boys played on us!!


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CALLED BY THE LORD, PART 6

CALLED BY THE LORD, PART 5

ADAM & EVE'S FAMILY TREE