LIFE LESSON FOR TODAY, 12/16/13




LUKE 2:8-10

Now there were in the same country shepherds living out in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night. And behold, an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were greatly afraid. 10 Then the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people. 

 

LUKE 2:16-17
  
And they ( THE SHEPHERDS) came with haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the Babe lying in a manger. 17 Now when they had seen Him, they made widely] known the saying which was told them concerning this Child.

 PAINTING OF ANGEL & SHEPHERDS


EXCERPT FROM DRUMMER BOY

( DELETED PA RUM PUM PUM PUM)

Little baby
I am a poor boy too
I have no gift to bring
That's fit to give our King
Shall I play for you
On my drum
I played my drum for Him
I played my best for Him

HISTORICAL CONTEXT

The scripture describes the 
shepherd as “country shepherds”.
This suggests that the shepherds 
were not rich.  They knew that
the baby Jesus was important because He was announced by angels.
They did seek and find the baby, but they didn’t carry gifts with them.
I could speculate and say that these poor shepherds did not have
money to buy gifts. These shepherds were special in God’s eyes
because He sent the angels to speak to them.  Their actions were
important because they told others about Jesus’ birth.  They still
glorified and honored Jesus in spite of not giving gifts.

The song about the drummer boy explains that he didn’t have a
gift to bring. He honored Jesus by playing his drum for him.





LIFE LESSON FOR TODAY



I can learn a lesson from the shepherds and the drummer boy.
The lesson is, a gift is not always necessary when you want to
Honor someone. The gifts and donations I give at Christmas
are a nice way to how love for others. My motive for giving
gifts and donations are important. I should not give these
things because I want status and fame or because I succumb
to peer pressure. I am not honoring Jesus or myself if love is
not the reason.

I had to experience a Job lay off and the death of a loved one
before I discovered that my priorities were flawed. I did not have the extra money for gifts or donations.  I could have been depressed about the situation. I took the time to do a reality check. I prayed
about the situation. The Lord gave me peace of mind and a solution.
I told my friends and relatives that I was not giving gifts this year.
I told them that they were welcome to stop by anyway for drinks
or a bite to eat. My mother had surgery last December and I was a caregiver for 3 months. I told family and friends that she was recovering and that we would not be exchanging gifts or having our annual Christmas dinner. I didn’t feel bad about telling them this. 

 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CALLED BY THE LORD, PART 6

CALLED BY THE LORD, PART 5

ADAM & EVE'S FAMILY TREE