LIFE LESSON FOR TODAY, 7/21/14






PAINTING, SAMSON & DELILAH
BY REMBRANDT, 1620's


I want to continue with the study of people in the Old Testament who disobeyed God.

I will share scriptures about a Nazirite to God, named Samson.  A Nazirite's vow is to avoid cutting his hair.

LIFE LESSON: 

SAMSON IS BORN  AND SPECIAL RULES MUST BE FOLLOWED.


JUDGES 13: 3-5, 24-25

And the Angel of the Lord appeared to the woman and said to her, “Indeed now, you are barren and have borne no children, but you shall conceive and bear a son.
Now therefore, please be careful not to drink wine or similar drink, and not to eat anything unclean.  
For behold, you shall conceive and bear a son. And no razor shall come upon his head, for the child shall be a Nazirite to God from the womb; and he shall begin to deliver Israel out of the hand of the Philistines.”



24 So the woman bore a son and called his name Samson; and the child grew, and the Lord blessed him.
25 And the Spirit of the Lord began to move upon him at Mahaneh Dan between Zorah and Eshtaol.


LIFE LESSON:

SAMSON MARRIES A PHILISTINE WOMAN,
NAMED DELILAH. PHILISTINES OFFER TO 
PAY HER IF SHE FINDS OUT HIS SECRET.

 
JUDGES 14: 1-6
 
1 Now Samson went down to Timnah, and saw a woman in Timnah of the daughters of the Philistines.  
So he went up and told his father and mother, saying, “I have seen a woman in Timnah of the daughters of the Philistines; now therefore, get her for me as a wife.”
Then his father and mother said to him, “Is there no woman among the daughters of your brethren, or among all my people, that you must go and get a wife from the uncircumcised Philistines?”
And Samson said to his father, “Get her for me, for she pleases me well.”
Afterward it happened that he loved a woman in the Valley of Sorek, whose name was Delilah.  
And the lords of the Philistines came up to her and said to her, “Entice him, and find out where his great strength lies, and by what means we may overpower him, that we may bind him to afflict him; and every one of us will give you eleven hundred pieces of silver.”
So Delilah said to Samson, “Please tell me where your great strength lies, and with what you may be bound to afflict you.”


JUDGES 16: 15-17 , 19-22


LIFE LESSON:

DELILAH NAGS SAMSON REPEATEDLY & HE TELLS HER HIS SECRET.  THE LORD DEPARTS FROM HIM HE IS CAPTURED & TORTURED BY THE PHILISTINES.

15 Then she said to him, “How can you say, ‘I love you,’ when your heart is not with me?   You have mocked me these three times, and have not told 
me where your great strength lies.  
16 And it came to pass, when she pestered him daily with her words and pressed him, so that his soul was vexed to death,  
17 that he told her all his heart, and said to her, “No razor has ever come upon my head,for I have been 
a Nazirite to God from my mother’s womb. If I am shaven, then my strength will leave me, and I shall become weak, and be like any other man.”

19 Then she lulled him to sleep on her knees, and called for a man and had him shave off the seven locks of his head. Then she began to torment him, and his strength left him.  
20   And she said, “The Philistines are upon you, Samson!”  So he awoke from his sleep,and said,
“I will go out as before, t other times,and shake myself free!”  But he did not know that the Lord 
had departed from him.

21 Then the Philistines took him and put out his eyes, and brought him down to Gaza. hey bound him with bronze fetters,and he became a grinder in the prison. 
22 However, the hair of his head began to grow again after it had been shaven.


LIFE LESSON :

SAMSON DIES; HOWEVER, HE WAS ABLE TO DELIVER ISRAEL FROM THE HANDS OF THE PHILISTINES!


JUDGES 16:28-30

 

28 Then Samson called to the Lord, saying, “O Lord God, remember me, I pray! Strengthen me, I pray, just this once, O God, that I may with one blow take vengeance on the Philistines for my two eyes!” 
29 And Samson took hold of the two middle pillars which supported the temple, and he braced himself against them, one on his right and the other on his left.  
30 Then Samson said, “Let me die with the Philistines!” And he pushed with all his might, and the temple fell on the lords and all the people who were in it. So the dead that he killed at his death were more than he had killed in his life.

 


CITY OF NAZARETH, ISRAEL



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CALLED BY THE LORD, PART 6

CALLED BY THE LORD, PART 5

ADAM & EVE'S FAMILY TREE