THE BIBLE UNICORN!



The gentle and pensive maiden has the power to tame the unicorn, fresco, probably by Domenico Zampieri, c. 1602 (Palazzo Farnese, Rome)






I never gave much thought to unicorns because I usually saw them in children's books or in cartoons.  I was astounded when I saw the word unicorn in a Bible passage I was reading last week.  I may sound ignorant because I didn't notice 
this in the Bible before. One thing I know is, the Bible is a unique Book. You can read a familiar scripture and the Lord can open your eyes to a new revelation.

After reading the scriptures featured below, I realized that the unicorn is not just a mythical creature.   I thought the unicorn was mythical because of folklore tales I read in the past. Some of the tales said  that the unicorn was pure and may have been captured by virgins. This might be why I saw several images of white unicorns. Most people believe the color white can represent  purity. The Bible passages I read didn't say that the  unicorns were white.




The  Bible passages below are in the
King James Version because many of 
the other versions  changed the word unicorn to wild ox:





Numbers 23:22

God brought them out of Egypt; he hath

as it were the strength of an unicorn.


Numbers 24:8



God brought him forth out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn: he shall eat up the nations his enemies, and shall break their bones, and pierce them through with his arrows.


Deuteronomy 33:17



His glory is like the firstling of his

bullock, and his horns are like the 
horns of unicorns: with them he shall push the people together to the ends 
of the earth: and they are the ten thousands of Ephraim, and they are 
the thousands of Manasseh.


Job 39:9-10


9 Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?
10 Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? Or will he harrow the valleys after thee?









Psalm 22:21

Save me from the lion's mouth: for
thou hast heard me from the horns
of the unicorns.



Psalm 29:6

He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn.

Psalm 92:9-10

9 For, lo, thine enemies, O Lord, for, lo, thine enemies shall perish;
all the workers of iniquity shall be scattered.
10 But my horn shalt thou exalt like the horn of an unicorn: I shall
be anointed with fresh oil.


Isaiah 34:5-7

5 For my sword shall be bathed in heaven: behold, it shall come down upon Idumea, and upon the people of my curse, to judgment.
6 The sword of the Lord is filled with blood, it is made fat with fatness,and 

with the blood of lambs and goats, with the fat of the kidneys of rams:for the Lord hath a sacrifice in Bozrah, and a great slaughter in the land of Idumea.
7 And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and
their dust made fat with fatness.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CALLED BY THE LORD, PART 6

CALLED BY THE LORD, PART 5

ADAM & EVE'S FAMILY TREE